Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Laziness > Drive

That pretty much says it all. I back up last Wednesday's blisteringly optimistic blog (complete with schedule) with...nothing for almost a week. Now, I've promised that lit-loving bunch (I use that word lightly. At last review I have two followers to my blog) new material tomorrow.

I have a few sports observations to make, though, and I got lazy yesterday and missed the date. I don't want to multi-purpose tomorrow's blog, so I'll sneak in some random thoughts on Tuesday.

Leading off:
It wasn't merely laziness that led me to miss my time yesterday. It was the Hawks, baby! Blackhawks hockey on TV, at long last. Of course, I stayed up fighting off sleep only semi-successfully to watch them lose pitifully in shootout at 11:something. But it's hockey goodness. For those of you baseball fans out there, i can't stress how important it is that you discover this wonderful sport. The regular season trades off almost perfectly with baseball and the the playoffs of each just overlap that "warming-up" period at the beginning of the season. I fell in love with the sport watching live. This may not be a possibility for all (though if it is, jump on it). However, you can still adopt a team and join in the fun. Don't let your winters be sports-passion
free, eh! Open a a LeBatt and try oot some hockey this season.

High-average base-filler:
This does being my first gripe of the night. It was my understanding that the Hawks were supposed to be on WGN Satruday night. I was pumped. Then...nothing but a rerun of Boston Legal. Do the WGN games not apply to the cable feed? I mean, we get Cubs and Sox games. We get the local Chicago news, for Pete's sake! But no Hawks? Just another example of the man keepin' hockey down.

Patented slugger:
A barn burning season in the Other Cat fantasy football league this year. For those of you that aren't familiar, this is my #1 league, populated by basically the same guys for the last ten years. The league with a waiting list to get in. I've enjoyed having a part in a league that has pretty much unique scoring (we used a lot of trial and error on this), great desire from all 12 managers. But enough about the league itself. What matters is 11 teams within two games of first. We're almost halfway through the season! Only Seabold's Tom Brady Withdrawal All-Stars are further out.

Clean-up:
The Phillies continue to look strong. Going into the playoffs it was obvious they weren't the frauds they were last year. But why is it I'm still not sold on their pitching?

Sean Casey:
If you look around on the web, you can find several ideas for reallignment of the NHL to make it more viable. Almost all of them agree the NHL needs to be smaller. Barring major disaster, the powers that be won't let this happen. I was brainstorming the other day, though, and came up with what I feel would be an ideal 22-team league based on city size, desire of fans (read; more Canadian teams), and geography:
Northwest: Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnepeg, Mnnesota
Northeast: Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec City, Toronto, Hamilton or London,
Southwest: Detroit, Chicago, Colorado, Pittsburgh, Buffalo,
Dallas (odd, I know, but good fans there)
Southeast: Boston, New York, New Jersey, Philly, Washington

The way I see it, North plays South for the cup each year. The Canadians are almost assured of playing for the cup each year (only Minnesota can douse their hopes, but they're practically Canadian anyway)

Aging slugger:
In my heart, I would prefer to have a team in Regina or Saksatoon. The logical side of me likes filling in that whole in the geography. the generous side of me wants to see Saskatchawon have at least 1 team. They would probably enjoy it more than Washington, but the geography's a bitch. (Put in Regina, move Minnesota to the southwest, move Pitt or Buffalo to the Southeast, but only one. Which one? Blah blah blah). Trust me, I spent 20 minutes here with an atlas trying to figure it out.

The newbie brought up for his glove:
Looks like AAA baseball will be shaken up again. I know Toronto is switching their affiliation from Syracuse for the first time in their history. Going west if I recall. Also, Cleveland is switching from Buffalo to in-state Columbus. And yet Toronto isn't taking uber-close Buffalo. Odd that. The Reds are going strong with the Bats though, which is a good thing, considering how often guys bo up and down there. I mean, gas is bad enough to cart those guys from Louisville to Cincy. Could you imagine airfare?

The catcher:
So I take a slight downgrade in backup QB to get Felix Jones as my 2nd RB. He gets hurt and Thomas Jones (the guy I took OUT of my lineup) cleans up. Maybe it is knid of funny when I suffer. As long as I get the W, that is.

The pitcher's spot (we don't need no stinkin' DH!)
Ironically, I'll use this spot to speak on the ALCS. I just turned it on to a 5-1 Ray lead in the top of the fourth. I thought Wakefield was going to be pitching. But unless he took 15 years or so off his face, droped the Knuckler, and picked up a sidearm delivery, this ain't him. So either Boston changed their mind on who to start or the Rays already ran him out. The Rays coming back to win after dropping the first game showed me a TON of heart. If they win the first two in Boston, how can I pick against them in this series? How can I pick against them in the World Series? This is big, folks. If revenue starts to come in to keep some of these players, you're looking at the Atlanta Braves circa 1991-1992. Look for big things.

Wow...that was long.

Again, new lit tomorrow (first of a series!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re: Patented slugger:
Yes, best league that I have ever been in. By far, the most competitive and every single manager knows this sport too well. By the way, what do you think of the trade with the Lions? Most Cowboy fans see it as a great trade, however, I see it as a 'F*ck You' to my man, and yours too sometimes, Patrick Crayton.

PEACE

mso said...

I think the Cowboys are getting fleeced, honestly. Roy Williams hasn't shown that he's anything more than a mediocre WR in the NFL. Yeah, he was a star at the University of Texas, but that was years ago and in college. Simply not worth the draft picks given up on him. Want a WR? draft him with the 1st or 3rd round pick you just gave up.

Anyhow, I just noticed how messy that post was (lower case I as a word, whole instead of hole, having 21 teams in my 22 team NHL reallignment). All in all, subpar. We'll try to fix this in the future.

Keep commenting, folks!

Anonymous said...

Let's face it, Pork. You'll root for anybody, but the Phillies!

Unknown said...

I know dick all about the hockey, but I'll tell you this right now. There is no way in hell you're going to get the people of Picksburgh to give up their Penguins. You saw what I saw. If they can forget to boo Bobby Bo, they damn well won't let them leave.

As for the Phillies, the reason you're not sold on their pitching is that they've been big fish in a little pond. Their competition is the NL East. Let's see, this year that meant the Marlins for part of the year. The Mets will continue taking care of themselves, and the Braves have completely fallen apart since Ted Turner sold the team/had the team taken from him. Sorry, I don't care what the stats are, I am not comfortable with Brad Lidge as the closer on any team.

Incidentally, do you suppose the idea of a Philly/Tampa World Series might have any impact on Election Day? Think of it: a team that hasn't been since before the strike and a team that has never been. Talk about change!